Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It's Day 22 and I really just want some wine.

Within the span of ten minutes, three people asked my mom and me why wine glasses were noticeably absent from our table. As I sat at the country club sports grill, the place my parents and I normally go to drink wine and talk about our feelings days, I wondered why this Whole30 thing is even a thing. It's boring, it's annoying, and people look at you funny when you say you can't drink wine or lattes or eat sandwiches or cheese.

And I won't lie, today I was a bit cranky. Though my clothes fit better, I wake up every day with a clear head and have energy throughout the day (mostly), I really just wanted a glass of wine when I got home from work. But it's only 8 more days of this. Only 8. More. Days.

And after all, isn't this what being an adult is about? Doing things that I know are good for my health, even though it kind of sucks in the interim; exercising self-control when all I want is to dive into a bowl of queso; saying "I'll just have a water" when I know that amazing pinot noir is waiting for me behind the bar.**

Can you tell I'm missing all my favorite things?

But then I went to a new restaurant and had drinks (water) with some great friends, and I think I was just missing some girl time. The support of friends should never be underestimated when you're going through something like this.

Here are some of my favorite things I've been eating. None of the recipes are original, though I often make adjustments when it comes to spices. I can't get enough oregano lately.

Is there anything better than guacamole?

Besides pesto, that is.

Hamburger with a sweet potato "bun." I added grilled mushrooms and onions and some arugula. Yummy!
Some spicy chicken sausage with potatoes on a bed of lettuce. I drizzled olive oil over top. Love



**I apologize if anyone is thinking about doing Whole30 and this post completely put you off. It really is amazing and will very likely change your life and the way you look at food. Plus you get to eat pesto. Check it out if you want some other inspiration besides my ramblings.


2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jennabeth! Only 7 more days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great!! I am so proud of you and hope that it was worth it in the end - sounds like you're getting the great benefits and gaining some new awareness about food :)

    ReplyDelete