Monday, December 3, 2012

Bookworm Problems



The Bookworm by Carl Spitzweg (aka Mr. Penrose to some) 
I'm getting way ahead of myself in the book department. Here's what's going on: I finished a Phillipa Gregory book right before Thanksgiving called The Queen's Fool, which was very good if you are into the whole historical fiction/Henry VIII/Elizabeth I thing, which I totally am. To find another book I raided my brother's bookcase, natch, to find All the Pretty Horses, which he said was really good and that he left it at home. But he lied, because it wasn't there. So instead I took Great Expectations, which has been sitting on my bedside table for 2 weeks. I then bought a book called Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan, the same guy that wrote Atonement, and it is so amazing. It's about a woman who is recruited by MI5 during the Cold War. I'm only about 150 pages in, but I would already recommend it to anyone.

Then I was browsing Amazon on Cyber Monday and decided to buy Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, which was delivered this weekend. They talk about this book on Parks and Rec, which is reason enough right there to buy it (previously used with free shipping. Awesome.)

The point of all that is, I think the bibliophile in me is craving really great fiction because my life is not quite as riveting at present. I am not complaining because it's kind of nice. I also think I miss being in a book club that centers around great (and maybe not so great) novels, great friends and lots of red wine.

Good thing the holidays are here so I'll have time to finish all these books...if I don't get distracted by other things. Namely: friends in town, weddings, creating a Christmas list for "Santa," stuffing myself with Christmas-related food, etc. You know the drill.

Since I'm already jumping ahead, anyone have any book recommendations for 2013? (I've clearly learned nothing from this post.)

4 comments:

  1. Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - my favorite book I've read all year. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawsome - hilarious and mostly about West Texas. And one of my all-time favorites is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - it's a retelling of the story of Hosea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lawson, not lawsome...though that would be an awesome way to spell a last name.

      Delete
    2. Hahah, naturally. And Redeeming Love is one of my favorites! Thanks for the recs, Haley!

      Delete