Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston.

Projection on the Brooklyn Academy of Music (h/t Buzzfeed)

I honestly don't know why the Boston Marathon bombings affected me so much yesterday. I've never been to Boston, I don't really know anyone who lives there, save maybe a few from boarding school, and I only knew of one person that was running in the marathon. But nevertheless, I was glued to my TV for a good 2 hours in the afternoon. I watched as strangers became innocent victims, and I felt so sad for them and anger toward the person who did this.

But I was inspired and touched to watch footage of the explosion and its immediate aftermath. After the first bomb went off, a few people standing around began to run away from it, but the majority of marathon volunteers and spectators standing close made a bee line for the site of the explosion to help the victims. Those are true heros. Thank God there are people in this world who run toward a disaster to help those who need it.

I feel like this past year's violence has bruised us as a nation. Newtown, the school shootings and stabbings in Texas lately, Boston; we can't seem to get away from violence and tragedy. It's hard to make sense of it all, or know what to do to stop it.

What I do know is that we cannot live our lives in fear. That's just what these people want. We all must endure, support victims and their families, and remember that no act of violence can defeat the will of Americans. I hope you'll continue to pray for our country and for those who desperately need to be pulled from darkness.


I hope you have a great (and safe) week.


1 comment: