Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Bibliophile's Life

Abilene is great. It really is a great place to raise a family, have a job, wear cowboy boots, etc. For a single twentysomething, however, things are a little bit slower than life in, say, DC or Austin. To make up for slightly lower frequency of action, I read. I read and go to movies and watch Netflix. Here is a recent account of what has been on my kindle and list of recently watched shows and movies.



1. As I said before my trip, I read The Hobbit and absolutely loved it. I realize it's a children's novel, but Tolkien is such a great writer that I don't think anyone would put it down just because it has a slight YA association. Peter Jackson certainly didn't. There are some great moments like: 

"He was in the dark tunnel floating in icy water, all alone--for you cannot count friends that are all packed up in barrels."

and

"Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterwards were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait."

I loved it all, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a fast but fun read. Because I had finished the book, I wanted to watch the movie (obvs). I'm talking about the first one b/c I had already seen the second one. I do things backwards sometimes. 

It kind of follows the book, but Jackson takes a lot of liberties, like adding Legolas into the movie, giving Bard a much bigger role, and creating a love story between a dwarf and an elf...what? But I can get past all that since it leads to Kili, the hot dwarf

2. For somewhat clear reasons, I read Ernest Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro," a short story about a man who gets hurt climbing Kilimanjaro and is basically drinking whiskey at the bottom thinking about his life. It's a 30 minute read, and I always love a good Hemingway story. 

3. Winter's Tale -- Ugh, okay, I rarely say this, but the movie was SO much better than the book. The book is a 750-page torture method that they probably used during the Cold War. I did get through it, but I wondered the whole time why I was bothering. I think it's because I have a mental block about starting books and not finishing them, which is why I haven't opened my copy of Moby Dick. In Winter's Tale, the book, there are too many characters, not enough character development, holes, unexplained plot lines, a 30-page chapter on the history of this newspaper where everyone works, and the secret to curing insomnia. Then I went to see the movie, and it was like a cool breeze on a hot summer day. They changed enough things that made the story make sense and took out characters that added no intrinsic value to the story. So save your time and just see the movie. 

4. Downton Abbey -- Do I need to say anything about this? Jk jk, I 100% do. Quick review: Mary's life is kind of turning around; she's got all the boys after her even though we all miss Matthew so much. I wish she would pay more attention to little George, though. Poor Edith, girlfriend cannot catch a break! It'll be interesting to see her baby come back to Downton, and what in the world happened to Michael? I don't love the teacher that Branson has been flirting with, but it's good to see him getting on with his life a little bit. I really want him to run for office. Bates and Anna seems to be okay, although I wonder if it's going to come out that Bates really killed that guy. Rose's dating life will surely be a focus in the next season, and I bet the writers have some scandal thrown in for our enjoyment. Sigh, I love this show. 

5. Just started watching House of Cards on Netflix. Ohmygoodnessit'ssoaddicting. I watched four episodes Sunday night, and I want to finish the first season this weekend. It is so freaking good. The opening credits show different shots of DC, and it gives me a twinge of sadness because I miss it so much! 



The writing is brilliant, and I love the (somewhat) exaggerated portrayal of life on the Hill. Certain elected officials, especially the higher on the food chain you go, definitely have the kind of influence that Frank has, making it easy to turn things their way or affect an outcome to get what they want. I think that role was written for Kevin Spacey, and Jenny from Forrest Gump does a great job as his wife. I definitely recommend it.

6. I'm currently reading On Writing by Stephen King. It's kind of like a memoir/here's what I've learned about writing in my decades of being a best-selling novelist. Since I hate scary things, I've never read anything of his besides The Shawshank Redemption, and I'm loving it. Talk about a fantastic writer. He is funny and educational without being pedantic. If you're a writer, or just someone who appreciates a good read, I'm pretty sure you'll love this book.


That's all for now, I think. I have a few more books that I've read and shows that I've started/am still watching, but I don't want to risk a Winter's Tale fiasco where I don't realize when I should stop. 

I would love to hear your recommendations! What are you reading/watching lately? 




No comments:

Post a Comment