Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter

On Saturday, after a half day of work and a trip to Sonic, I headed out of Abilene and down to my grandparents' house in Marble Falls. I love driving down to Marble by myself, especially when I've got good music on the radio, a large Diet Dr Pepper in the cup holder, and the prospect of a fun weekend with family ahead of me.

Usually around this time in the Hill Country, there are thousands, millions, of bluebonnets dotting the side of highways. You know its spring in Texas when ten or 15 cars are lined up in a lush field of bluebonnets to take photos of their kids or grandkids. We used to do that too, but I remember a particularly awful time in a field of bluebonnets when I stepped in an anthill and didn't know it until I had ants crawling up my tennis shoes and jeans. My skin crawls right now just writing about it. 

But I digress. Unfortunately this year, there weren't many bluebonnets because we've been so light on rain. So I got to exercise my imagination and pretend like there were blue fields that stretched to the horizon, among the red Indian paintbrushes and a white flower I had never seen before. 

This is what I had in mind... (Source)

I got to Marble around 6:15, and the weekend was already in full swing. My grandmother, mom and aunts were in the kitchen cooking a very ambitious meal of Mexican food, and the men were sitting around drinking and talking. I poured myself a glass of wine and sat down to chat, happy to finally relax after a long day.

Literally the cutest basket of eggs I've ever seen.



After a delicious meal of Pinterest-inspired food (my granny is obsessed with the Pinty..), we sat out on the deck and enjoyed the cool evening. I hadn't seen some of my cousins in a while, and it was good to catch up. 








While I always love going to church on Easter Sunday, we gave it up to spend more time with my brother who drove in from Corpus and had to get back early to study. After another delicious home-cooked lunch of ham, hash brown casserole, broccoli, and rolls, it was time for him to depart. 

Easter, also known as the day Dad learned to photobomb.

We followed shortly after, and this time I had company on the way back: ol' mama bear. Three hours was plenty of time to rehash the short weekend, talk about upcoming plans and things we want to do, and sip on another Sonic drink.

We got back and ordered a pizza (my diet starts tomorrow..) and watched a little TV. All in all, a lovely weekend with family, laughs and love.

I hope your Easter was great!



1 comment:

  1. Our diet starts TOMORROW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gspaoaecNAg

    ReplyDelete