Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A San Antonio Wedding and a Visit to the Country

The bride walked down the aisle with her father, and I had forgotten a kleenex. Weddings are always emotional for me and, well, for a lot of people. Something bubbles up when I am surrounded by love and the promise of commitment, and the emotion escapes through my eyes. I felt better when I realized I wasn't the only person in my row with tears in my eyes.

I drove to San Antonio Thursday to attend the wedding of a good friend from DC. I hadn't been to SA in at least five years, and even longer than that since I'd been to the River Walk, which is where most of the weekend's festivities took place. What a lovely area of town! Despite temps in the 90s, it was nice to lounge by the pool at the Omni La Masion, meander down the river, and enjoy time with good friends.

Beth and me at the Bridal Luncheon. Trying to beat the heat with our fans!

The bride was sweet to let me get ready with them on Saturday even though I wasn't a bridesmaid, and I loved having some extra special time with my DC ladies, whom I see so rarely these days. *sad face*

The wedding was at the San Fernando Cathedral. It was a beautiful, well-lit church near the river and provided the perfect backdrop for Olivia and Josh to say their vows. Between the ceremony and the reception (a time referred to as the Catholic Gap since Catholic weddings are usually so early in the day), we guests took a bus tour of downtown San Antonio. The bride and groom graciously provided the buses with beer while we toured. So we sipped the cold beverages and I gave a debatably-terrible recreation of the Battle of the Alamo to two non-Texan friends.


I can create the story for you, for a small fee.

Eventually we arrived at the McNay Museum for the reception. Y'all, this reception was amazing. The food was incredible, the toasts were sweet and thoughtful, and the band was spot-on. Olivia has been talking about their wedding band, Blind Date, for months, so my expectations were pretty high. This Austin-based band exceeded them all, and I danced the night away to incredible music in the air.


Awesome couple!

Miss these ladies! 
And my former roomie!!

Mmmmmm.



The next day, I got up and made a necessary run to Whataburger with my buddy Beth. Because #texas.












I decided to spend Sunday night a few miles outside Bandera, TX at my Aunt Jenn's house. I hadn't been to their house in forever, so I took advantage of being so close to spend time with her, my uncle, and their three great kids. We went to dinner at a Bandera staple, the OST Restaurant, and then Jenn and I chatted underneath the stars for hours until bedtime. The next morning, in true country-living fashion, we baked buttermilk pies.

They have roughly 30 chickens and get at least 10 eggs a day! 

Beautiful morning in the Hill Country.

Dogs on the porch.

Homemade crust is the way to go!

Beautiful...and delicious

I drove the few hours back to Abilene yesterday afternoon listening to an audio tape I bought on the way down. Spending time with friends and family is about all I could ask for out of a weekend, and this one ranks pretty high on my list of favorites. Driving north on Highway 83, I watched a Texas sunset alter the landscape to my left and change the sky from bright blue to pink and orange. I'm pretty sure I smiled the whole way home.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment