Monday, March 9, 2015

To the Bat Cave!

This weekend, I wanted to do some things in and around Granada. It's amazing to think that I only have a few more weeks in this beautiful country, and of course, now I don't feel like there is enough time to do everything I want to do.

Last Friday, after an exhausting week at school, I had a relaxing afternoon then decided to get street food for dinner. Street food will no doubt be one of my favorite parts of this city because it is simple, good food for cheap. Vendors set up shop on the side of the street and sell grilled chicken, platanos maderas or verdes (bananas either fried or baked and sweetened), the traditional gallo pinto (rice and beans), and coleslaw. Some vendors sell a ton of other fried foods like empanadas, fried potatoes with cheese, Nica cheese (a salty cheese that they serve with everything here. I don't like it much..) and something similar to chalupas. One order easily lasts for two meals, and I usually warm up my leftovers the next day for lunch. All this for 115 cordobas (a little more than 5 bucks).

My friends and I then did our favorite Friday night activity: ladies' night at Reilly's. Reilly's is a pub just down the street from our house, and on Fridays, girls drink for free. Rum and cokes flow from 9-12 and the whole group gets pretty tipsy sipping the strong rum for literally nothing. After Reilly's, we headed to Kelly's, another pub that has a DJ and dance floor, great outdoor patio, and plenty of nicaraguenses to mingle with. After only a few minutes on the dance floor, I'm usually soaked with sweat. Gross, right? The lack of air conditioning and hundreds of bodies in one room will do that to a person. Not to mention I'm usually dancing my heart out. The moonwalk usually comes out at least once during a Kelly's night. After plenty of dancing and sweating, I went to the patio to sit for a minute and have some good conversation.

The next morning, a couple girls in my house went to Kathy's Waffle House, a place a few blocks away from us that serves amazing breakfast. I feasted on a bacon omelette, gallo pinto, hash browns and buttery toast. I haven't had pancakes or waffles there yet, but it's on my to do list. I'm sure I'll visit it again before I leave. 

Saturday Afternoon, a group of us decided to do the Masaya Volcano night tour. It is the most active volcano in Nicaragua, and last erupted in 2008 spewing only ash and steam. While we didn't see any lava, the smoke emanating from the crater is quite impressive. 




Completely unnecessary gas masks, and the crater behind me.

The view from the top!

No pasa, Beth!!
After the sun set, we descended into the bat caves that are connected through an intricate system to the volcano. As our guide said, we didn't need to be afraid that the bats would hit us. Since they fly using sonar, they could sense where we were and avoid us while flying around the caves. We descended 180 meters, and I admit my claustrophobia started acting up a bit. After a few deep breathes and a diverting conversation, I was okay but certainly didn't want to be there longer than necessary. Once we got to the end, our guide told us to turn off our flashlights and stay silent for a few seconds. I clutched my friend, trying to not think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...which only made me think of it more. We were enveloped in total darkness; I'd never experienced darkness so complete and unfiltered. The whole tour was a very cool experience, and one you must do if you ever find yourself in Nicaragua.

Oh, hey Connie.



Sunday was a lazy one. It's the day of rest, no? We had brunch at Lucy's Hostel and Restaurant, another favorite of mine. Theirs is an open courtyard with delicious breakfast for only 60 cord (about $2.25) and a nice lunch for 70. A family owns the hostel and restaurant and could not be sweeter. Then we walked through the park, among the stalls filled with tshirts, jewelry, purses and clothes. I accidentally haggled for an anklet and got it for 30 cord less than she originally asked. She must have known the first price she gave me was ridiculous, so when I put it down and began to walk away, she instantly cut it by 30. The blue beaded anklet is now on my left ankle. Every time I see it, I'll remember this weekend, and the city that has crept it's way into my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment