Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dad's Triathlon: yet another endeavor best enjoyed as a spectator

Last weekend, my parents and I went to Possum Kingdom Lake to watch my dad compete in a sprint triathlon. The triathlon (btw, who else thought triathlon was spelled triathAlon? I literally didn't know it didn't have that A in it until I started writing this post..) was early Sunday morning, so we drove up on Saturday. While my parents went to sign Dad in and get his transfer bags (is that what they're called?) I had a relaxing time back at the house. After Labor Day, the lake pretty much closes up, so it was quiet, peaceful and relaxing to sit outside, read and sip on one of those large DDPs that you know I love so much.

After a wonderful dinner at the home of a family friend, we went to bed early. We got up at 5am so we could be at the site in plenty of time before the start. It was a little ridiculous how early it was. So early, in fact, that coffee was not even helping. But I will say, it was exciting to see this world that, frankly, I never knew existed.

Because this has been my attitude about working out up until recently (I'll get to that later.)

I had such fun watching all the svelte professional triathlon runners and the regular joes all standing around together waiting to start. People-watching being a personal hobby of mine, it was like hitting the jackpot. A weird jackpot that makes you really self-concious and really judgmental all at the same time. I was also surprised by how many people did not seem to be in shape. I don't even mean that in a rude way, I was seriously impressed by some of these people's initiative and bravery.

So back to my Dad. He was in the last group, since he was only doing the shorter race, and started around 8:25.

There they go!!



So we watched him swim, change over to the bike, and take off on his 17-mile bike ride followed by a 5 mile run! Then I got distracted by some geese flocking around the finish line.


Geese. They're so weird. I took about 379 photos.
After some much needed coffee, it wasn't long before the professionals, who started almost an hour before my dad, started coming through the finish line. We waited for another hour or so, and then watched Dad pass the finish line in just under 2 1/2 hours!!


Not bad, Father, not bad.

Now, we're training for some 5k for when we go to DC for Thanksgiving, hence a recent increase in my attendance at the gym. It's been a long time coming, but this should be interesting...



3 comments:

  1. Awesome! What 5K are you doing at Thanksgiving?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it the Turkey trot? I normally do that one too! Maybe I can join the fam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Yes Yes!! It's the turkey trot!!! I'm excited, although I can't run with you, Olivia, b/c I'll be in your smoke trails. I go approx. 3 mph. :)

    ReplyDelete