Friday, November 22, 2013

99 Problems but a Turkey Ain't One.

Today is the first freeze of the year. It started sleeting a little this morning, and it's 28 degrees outside. Sitting on my couch, I'm watching ice flurries blanket our street while drinking a hot cup of coffee. Ahhhh.

You see a dead tree. I see glorious winter approaching.

Not only that, but it's less than a week until Thanksgiving! It's one of my favorite holidays because it involves three of my favorite things in the world: family, copious amounts of food, and lazy afternoons. And also being thankful for all the blessings in my life, blah blah. But also PUMPKIN PIE.

As the holiday approaches, however, I'm having some issues. This year, my parents are hosting Thanksgiving dinner at their house, something they haven't done in years. My mom is making a few dishes, my grandmother a few, and my aunt a few. Everything seemed pretty much covered. But since this is my first year or so of being actually into cooking, I wanted to bring something to the table, literally and figuratively.

Two problems, though: 1. My only day off from work in the next week is on Sunday (and then Thursday, of course), and 2. I'm attending a "friendsgiving" on Sunday night and will probably be spending the day in the kitchen making something for that. I had neither the time nor the brilliant idea to impress everyone at the dinner table with my incredible (maybe?) skills in the kitchen.

Then, yesterday on Cupcakes and Cashmere, Emily talked about making a special variation of an old fashioned for Thanksgiving. A lightbulb suddenly switched on in my head. Cocktails! Of course! Done and done. I've decided to copy her (I'm not quite as original as she is in the kitchen or the bar) and make that my contribution to the day. I hope my family likes whiskey. Wait, who am I kidding?

I can't wait to pour a few drinks, relax, and dine on sweet potato casserole, turkey and stuffing. Now if only I could figure out how to get some extra rolls onto my plate without anyone noticing...

No comments:

Post a Comment