Sunday, November 3, 2013

Moral of the Story: TV Junkie Turned History Buff...?

I've been running around like a madwoman lately. I work Saturdays, which cuts my weekend in half forcing me to run errands at night when all I want to do is lie on the couch and watch Hell on Wheels (I'll get to that in a sec). That being said, I'm really liking the job. It's a nice change of pace from before, where my only job was sitting at home and drinking copious amounts of coffee in front of my computer. Even though I was job searching, it was boring. Here are a few things I've learned in the past few weeks while working my weekends away:


1. I am a history enthusiast, by way of a television junkie -- I started the show Hell on Wheels a couple weeks ago and am almost finished with the third season. We all know my penchant for really great television, so I'm thrilled I found another show after Breaking Bad. For those who don't watch it, it's set in the 1860s after the Civil War when Union Pacific was building the transcontinental railroad West. 
Last night over a fire pit with some friends, we were talking about how sometimes we wish we lived in different times. I would have loved to have been out West in the late 19th century. I mean, okay, probably not really, because I seriously doubt I could live without modern conveniences. But, think about it, you'd be taking part in creating a new region in America: you'd be on a piece of land all your own, or a shop owner in some new town, or become the head of a railroad endeavor and marry someone like Cullen Bohannan (talk about ruggedly handsome). Maybe Marty will let me borrow the DeLorean for a quick trip just so I can see what it was like, and then 1.21-jigawatt-it on back to 2013. That would make my life.

I mean... 

2. I'm really, really sad that I live in a world where people like Pink and Honey Boo Boo are successful -- Pink might be my bias, but I really cannot stand her music. It doesn't help that Abilene stations play her stuff Non. Stop. and it makes me want to pull my hair out. Honey Boo Boo, on the other hand, could be seen as more of a commentary on where our society is likely going, and that's really depressing. If this spoiled little brat with ADD and serious therapy bills coming her way in 20 years is entertainment, I must be missing the point. What is so appealing about her? If someone knows please tell me because I seriously don't get it.

3. I'm okay with my major relationships in life right now being with liquid -- Coffee in the morning, Diet Coke in the afternoon with Water in between, Wine at night, Beer when I'm sitting around the fire referenced in number 1.


A recent find with a cute label.

4. Never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut -- some great advice from my dad years ago, but I tend to forget it sometimes. No matter how many times I put my foot right in my mouth and vow to never do it again, I somehow always do. Ughh.

5. Sometimes a food truck is all you need to feel right with the world -- Oh, Happy late Halloween by the way. Wednesday was the Trick-or-Treating night in my parents' neighborhood, and although my mom was out of town and my dad and I had both forgotten to pick up candy, I heard there was going to be a food truck at the neighborhood park--get in my belly. Gypsy Blu belongs to the guy who used to have Bonterra Blu in Clyde, TX, but they closed recently and only do the food truck and catering. Their food is incredible, and I really wish the truck would come around more often, like the UPS guy when you're waiting for a package. I scarfed down some lamb tacos and maybe the best mac and cheese ever, all while catching up with other neighborhood dwellers and watching the sun go down. Although I didn't dress up, it was a wonderful Halloween that passed in the blink of an eye. My next holiday celebration? Bonfire night, the 5th of November. Maybe I can get the food truck to make another appearance.




*photo source.

No comments:

Post a Comment