Monday, November 25, 2013

Weekend Happenings: Catching Fire, Cooking, and Friendsgiving

This weekend was freezing and raining, and I spent as much time as I could inside with warm food and toddies. On Friday, my roommate and I went to see Catching Fire, and ohmygoodness it was so incredible I wanted to faint. I love the books, and the second one was my absolute favorite so I was so happy the movie stayed true to the book. I could talk about the Hunger Games for days, and have, not only because it's a great story, but it also reminds me of my book club back in DC. The Hunger Games books were our first few reads, and we are all obsessed. (I miss those girls!)

On Saturday, the freezing rain continued. Since the roads were really bad, I didn't go to work. After drinking coffee and reading until well into the afternoon, I slowly and carefully made my way over to my parents' house to help my mom cook and bake for Thanksgiving. I also made a pumpkin pie for our friendsgiving on Sunday night, my first baking experience, and I have to say it turned out rather deliciously.
An incredible broccoli soup while catching up on the new Anthro catalogue; my first pie, and my lovely kitchen companion.

It was so warm and cozy in my mom's kitchen and I was thrilled to learn some new skills.  Not to mention we got a jumpstart on all the Thanksgiving cooking.

After a few glasses of pinot and then an excursion to get Mexican food, I decided to stay the night rather than drive all the way across town. So I caught up on some shows and then turned in for the evening.

I paused to get more wine, and look where it landed...couldn't resist.

On Sunday, I spent the morning in front of the fire with my parents and the paper. My mom and I tackled a few more things in the kitchen, then it was time for me to depart. I took the pumpkin pie, drove a few streets over, and proceeded to have my first ever friendsgiving. What better way to celebrate Thanksgiving than by having it twice??

The girls (and Thunderhorse)

I am ecstatic for this week, as my family comes to town to celebrate, and couldn't ask for a better weekend to ease into the holiday season.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

1 comment: