Thursday, February 6, 2014

Goodbye, Part 2

It's a tough thing to say goodbye, especially to someone who I've literally known all my life. I called this post "Part 2" because this feels like an actual extension of my last "Goodbye" post, where I said goodbye to my grandfather about 13 months ago. My grandmother passed away on Saturday morning, but I don't think she ever really learned to live without him. Her heart was broken, and it never mended until she was in Heaven, when she saw him again.

The way I like to remember her: In a huge hat at Pebble Beach, surrounded by us. (And yes, that's me on the right.) 

So I've been watching family come and go, food and flowers being brought over by friends, and wondering how Abilene is going to go on without Patty Taliaferro. Everyone has been so sweet and kind, remembering stories of my grandmother and her antics -- of which she had plenty -- and I will miss her. She was always looking for her next adventure, and besides wearing huge hats, her favorite thing was to travel. I think I get that from her, and I thank her for teaching me to appreciate the value that travel and learning about other cultures can bring to a life.

Hoping to continue her legacy, I am still training for my next adventure. With less than 2 weeks to go until we leave for Kili, it's crunch time. My plan is to be at the gym every spare moment I have.

Life just keeps moving, doesn't it? And I must be sure not to miss one single moment.



1 comment: