Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Study in Sherlock

Every few weeks or so, I post something about a new show that I love or have recently started loving. One of my first posts was about Downton Abbey, then it was Breaking Bad, then Hell on Wheels, and most recently, Call the Midwife. The reason I so easily become obsessed with these shows is because they are great stories that are very well told...it's that simple. If you know me, you know I love a good story, be it a novel, a movie or a TV show. Writing that manages to produce rich characters, plot and dialogue is hard, so I'm always impressed when they make it look so easy.

Today, I'm talking about "Sherlock" on the BBC. While I did like the movie with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, that's for another day. And I have some serious problems with "Elementary" on CBS... with Sherlock in New York with a female Dr. Watson. Now, I have no issue with Lucy Liu as Watson, but Sherlock Holmes and London go together like tea and crumpets, and to separate them is just...nonsensical.

The BBC's "Sherlock" has everything that I expect from a Sherlock Holmes show, and they've successfully modernized it to current day London. Instead of letters and elementary forensics, there are cell phones and advanced science helping out the Baker Street duo. Watson is the narrator in many of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, and in "Sherlock," he is writing a blog about all their adventures. Of course the focal point of the show is Sherlock, who is unpredictable and unpleasant, but somehow so appealing. For me, it's those rare moments of sentiment and softness that make him likable.

This is not one of those moments, but one of the first scenes we meet Sherlock, he's sizing up Watson to be his roommate, and it kind of gives me chills how awesome it is:



There are so many other great quotes that I couldn't choose just a few, so of course I turn to Buzzfeed to do the work for me. Check it out.

Also, I would go on about how handsome I think Benedict Cumberbatch is, but I will spare you.

Another great thing about this show is that it comes on right after Downton Abbey, so my Sunday nights are so chock full of drama and intrigue that I can barely stand to get up the next morning. So, let's raise a cup of tea to many more nights of "Sherlock."

I'd love to know, what's your favorite show? Do you love Sherlock as much as I do? What other shows should I be watching?




2 comments:

  1. JBT - I know that you already know this, but I love that you love Sherlock so much! You would also LOVE HBO's True Detective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that show is so good.. I need to watch it! And I'm so glad you and I have one other obsession in common.

      Delete