Monday, September 30, 2013

Breaking Good, and New Beginnings

Fall is easily my favorite season, a season for change and new beginnings, where the mornings are cool and the air is crisp. As Joe Fox says in You've Got Mail: "It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name." I know exactly how he feels.

Although still reeling from clutching the remote too tightly and crying into my Hot-n-Ready pizza last night, I think I'm strong enough now to talk about the ending of Breaking Bad. It was gut-wrenching. (Lots of SPOILER ALERTS ahead. Beware.) 


Goodbye Breaking Bad

Vince Gilligan is an evil genius, and although I jumped on the bandwagon a little late (I'm in the process of catching up), his writing is overwhelmingly heartfelt and the story ended so beautifully. It's almost poetic what that show did; it made us care about a kingpin drug dealer and sympathize with criminals. I loved everything about it, and I can't say that about very many shows or movies. I love that Jesse is free in every sense of the word. I love that Walt will take the blame for making the meth as the cops find him dead in the lab. I love that his family will get his money. I love that Elliot and Gretchen will have to look over their shoulder for the rest of their lives, even though no one is there. I love that Walt got to say goodbye to Skyler, that he got to see his kids one more time. I love that Hank's body will be found.

Most of all, I love that we finally, truly get to see who Walt is. He is no longer hiding behind the facade of his own lie, that he "did it for the family." He finally admits, after five seasons, that it was all for him. That he felt alive while he was doing it. I think his fresh answer to why he did it is the reason Skyler lets him see Holly. On the last day he was alive, his honesty, not his lies, got him what he wanted. What a beautiful lesson for him to learn after years of lies, decisions and change. As Walt said himself, "chemistry is the study of transformation," and I think he finally realizes what his transformation has done to him and to his family. He tells the truth, and because of it Skyler can finally be at peace.

As for me, many changes are coming in the next few months. Here are a few new beginnings that I'm looking forward to, besides finding a new show to watch on Sunday night:

1. Move in with these two lovely ladies!! I'm so excited to claim a room in their adorable house across town, and I can't wait to be all moved in.


On my birthday last month! 

2. Run a 5k. Around this time last year, I ran my first 5k and it was such an incredible experience. I have been a little lackluster about running/working out the past couple of months, and it's time to start back.


3. Start baking. Ever since I saw these pumpkin snickerdoodles on Pinterest, I've wanted to make them. As someone who is trying to become more domestic, this seems like a logical next step. 


Recipe


Do you think fall is a good time for change? Did you love Breaking Bad as much as I did? 


1 comment:

  1. Alycyn and I are running a 5K in November! Wish you could join us!

    ReplyDelete