Friday, October 4, 2013

"Music is what feelings sound like."

I'm about to go all fangirl over here, so just prepare yourself.

I just can't with all this cuteness right now.

In June, the Mumford and Sons concert in Dallas was cancelled due to a medical issue with one of their band members (Read about my emotional heartbreak due to this turn of events here). It was rescheduled for a few Wednesdays ago, September 18th. After a very last minute offer of the tickets from my friend Sandi who generously invited me the first time and couldn't go this time, I found myself driving to Dallas on a hot Wednesday morning to meet my cousin for the dance and sing along party concert.

I first heard Mummies and Sonnies (h/t to Beth Breeding for coming up with that nickname) on a short-lived series on Fox called "Lone Star." While the show struggled and was eventually cancelled after only a few episodes, I remember the entire pilot had all these songs in it. The first one--I found out the name later--was "The Cave," then "Awake My Soul" and a few others mixed between. They all sounded like the same singer, and each one was so beautiful that I needed them immediately in my life. Trusty Google told me a tale of these English guys (I was already on board) who called themselves Mumford and Sons. I began to listen, and our love story began. 

Three years later, I am on the green and slightly littered lawn of the Gexa Energy Pavilion in downtown Dallas. Once again, their music lifts my spirits and affects me in a way that no other music has.

And yes, I realize I am obsessed. My parents have started saying, "no more Mumford and Sons" when it's my turn to pick the music. I guess they're not as enamored as I am.

After the concert, my cousin and I went to one of her favorite bars in Denton. A friend of hers asked me, "what's your favorite band?" The answer was almost too easy.

This weekend, I'm moving to a new house, working, and doing some coffee drinking and book reading. All with Mumford and Sons' latest CD playing in the background, of course.

Have a great weekend!

Ps. If you haven't  seen a documentary called "The Big Easy Express," pull it up on Netflix NOW. Old Crow Medicine Show, Mumford and Sons and Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros on a train to New Orleans. It'll pretty much change your world.


1 comment:

  1. I love Mummies and Sonnies! So happy you got to see them. This is one obsession that I can get behind!

    ReplyDelete