Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Abilene Abbey

After moving back to Abilene, my parents got me hooked on a little show called Downton Abbey. Okay "got me hooked" is not really the right phrase, since I am without a doubt going to love, be obsessed with, and dream about anything that is English and pre/during World War II era.

I love the time period (1912-1919) for the drama and tragedy that comes with the war, the volatile political landscape that takes shape after World War I , and of course the sartorially-dynamic, beautiful people walking around a gorgeous English estate bigger than the state of Rhode Island.

I mean....for serious. I'm surprised the royal family hasn't bought this yet.


Does that come in my size?
And that's just the visuals!! The writing is brilliant, the characters are developed either as amazing men and women or as evil plotters, and the fact that they all live in the same house makes it even more dramatic.


I love the irony of opening the series with the sinking of the Titanic. The aristocratic life that so many believed was untouchable is now eerily vulnerable. So right from the start, Downton Abbey is shoved into this uncertain time when that whole upper class is exposed. Now that the war is over, I think all bets are off, and Downton will have to change right along with the times.

I just love them together!
So I finished Season 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it was beautiful. Not just because (SPOILER ALERT!!) Lavinia dies and Mary and Matthew get together (better than Elizabeth and Darcy? Debatable..), but also because Sybil is preggers, that slut Jane left Robert and Cora in peace, Carson decided to stay at Downton, and Cousin Violet is still alive to make witty comments about the societal norms of the time.
Just a few of my favorites:
  • "Don't be defeatist dear, it's terribly middle class."
  • "She's so slight a real necklace would flatten her."
  • "I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose."
  • And so many others...



On the down side, Bates is in jail, Anna is miserable, and the new season doesn't start for another 5 MONTHS. But no matter, because when it does come back, I have no doubt that it will be as thrilling as ever.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend watching it. If for no other reason, than simply because you will understand this photo:

This is what she would say if I were in charge.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, it's amazing. AMAZING. Also, I love the background of your blog!

    ReplyDelete