Wednesday, January 7, 2015

All My English Feels: Review of Downton Abbey Season 5, Episode 1



Downton Abbey premiered on Sunday night, and I was filled with immense joy. I fell in love with this show after the first two seasons came out, and wrote about it shortly after (which you can read here). Apparently a lot of other people fell in love with it too, because 10.1 million Americans tuned in Sunday night to find out what's next for the Crawley family.

***Warning! Spoilers ahead!

The season opens with Edith going to visit her love child with Michael Gregson, who went off to Germany to get a divorce from his institutionalized wife in order to marry Edith, and then mysteriously disappeared. I feel sorry for Edith, who seems unable to figure out the whole life/man thing. She is always sad, and even though she's not my favorite character, I really hope she's be able to find happiness this season.

Mary is still trying to figure out what she wants from Tony Gillingham, and then he asks her to be his lover, which felt pretty bold for this period show where liberal women are often seen as pariahs. But I think it's well-timed for this season to have a little more scandal, a little more female independence, since women were finding their voice during the 20s and realizing that they didn't have to wait around for their dads to marry them off.

How badass is Cora? She told off Barrow after he thought he was so clever, and I couldn't have cheered for her more. Now that Thomas has been put in his place a little bit, I hope it leaves some room for Miss Baxter and Mosely to get together, because he's another person that can't seem to catch a break, and I think they'd be cute together.

Then there was the fire and Barrow redeemed himself a bit. He's not going anywhere anytime soon since he saved Edith while her room was burned to a crisp. As if she didn't have enough to worry about. How much did you gasp when Lord Grantham walked in on Jimmy and that woman getting it on? Though I'm kind of sad that Jimmy may be leaving Downton; he's always been very easy on the eyes.

As always, it's the little things in this show that make it one of the best on television. The witty banter between Mrs. Hughes and Carson. Bates and Anna's sweet marriage. Mary and Anna's friendship. Isis. Rose's spunk and youthful enthusiasm. The sprawling scenery out of doors and the beautiful interiors. The perfect, roaring 20s outfits. I could keep going.

Though I won't watch the rest of the season as it comes out, I'm looking forward to a long weekend of binge watching every episode when I return from Central America. I won't move from the couch, and I won't even be sorry.

Isis sometimes wishes for a simpler life at Downton.


What did you think of the premier??



No comments:

Post a Comment