Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Lake Break

After five days of job searching last week, I was ready for a break. I realize the irony here, but it can be truly exhausting. My friend Erin invited a group of us to her family's lake house on Lake Brownwood for the weekend. What was meant to be a day trip turned into an overnight stay with me brushing my teeth with my finger and sleeping in my swim suit. I wasn't complaining though. Any time I can be in/on the water with a beer in my hand, you can color me content.

Before a delicious dinner of fajitas, we went out on the boat to watch the sunset. I tried to catch the light with a Vine, since iphone photos never do a sunset justice.



On Sunday, after some seadoo rides and a nice heart-to-heart with the bestie, I reluctantly returned to Abilene. Yesterday I resumed the job hunt, even though now I feel almost more lost than before and I'm trying to get a grasp on what exactly I want to do.

One of our journal prompts in Paris last month was to think about ourselves five years ago. I think I wrote some two pages about my life as a junior in college or something, but as I think about it now, I almost envy my 20-year-old self.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do and was so sure of my passions and my future. I've never been the person with a 30-year-plan, or even a 10-year-plan, but I never expected to be living at home at 25 looking for a job. It is a self-inflicted problem, I know, and I'm only allowed to complain to you because I have a blog and you are reading it.

Then again, how fortunate that those five years are behind me. They were some of the best -- going abroad, living in DC, making great friends and memories -- but I hope I am wiser and have learned a few things about the world. Somehow, I'm happy that I'm going through this time of confusion and aimlessness. This was never not going to happen, and like everything, it will pass. I'm optimistic. Just gotta keep truckin'.

Now back to the job search. It's a bit like George Costanza when he quit his job, although quitting my job was most assuredly not a mistake.




Have a good week!

6 comments:

  1. I love this one and not just because I'm "featured" but because it IS so wise and so honest; we've all either been there or will be there at some time in our lives and it truly is so sweet...as is each day, even when it is aimless (Just an FYI I've learned all this from our heart to hearts). I am glad we get to do life together. I love youuuuu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, baboosh, thanks for being there always and for coining my new fav phrase: "move swings."

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always come back to DC! ;)

    ReplyDelete