Sunday, May 25, 2014

6 Tips on Writing Thank You Notes



Thank you notes are one of those things. They may seem trivial and superfluous fluff, but can be meaningful and memorable to the recipient. In a world of text messages, emails and Facebook, a handwritten note adds a personal touch to a relationship, and shows that you really care to put pen to paper and express your gratitude. Talk about getting the most bang for your buck!

My grandmother gave my brothers and me lots of rules on how to write thank you notes: "never start a thank you note with 'thank you,'" "mention something specific about the party or gift," "write it as soon as you receive the gift or get home from the party, so you don't forget a thing about it."

She ardently followed these rules and encouraged us to do the same. While I still follow some of her tips, here are a few things I've learned on my own, garnered over the years I've written to family, friends, and perfect strangers:

1. Don't be intimidated -- I used to think writing a thank you note made me seem like a brown-noser. Then I thought about the few times I had received thank you notes, and how special they made me feel. It's a small gesture to show that you remember and appreciate someone's efforts or time, and it will leave them with a positive impression of you.

2. Have stationery on hand -- It doesn't have to be personalized, although I love mine. I also use random cute cards that I find at Target or Anthro. My favorite "fun" cards are from Rifle Paper Co. 
Any notecards that you like and are generic enough to be sent to anyone at any time will work. Keep them in your desk or somewhere convenient so you can reach for one the exact second you want to.

3. Length doesn't matter -- whether it's four sentences or fourteen pages, the important thing is that you took the time out to thank someone.

4. Be yourself -- Template thank you notes completely defeat the purpose of writing one! If you're not going to thank them for the things that YOU enjoyed, or the reason YOU love the gift, then why even bother? They will appreciate it even more if it's from the heart.

5. Write the most elderly person first -- I really hate to generalize on this point, but elderly men and women are the ones most likely sitting by their mailbox waiting for your note. I've had older people call the store where I work asking if we had delivered their gift to so-and-so, because they hadn't received a thank you note yet. They remember, they know, and they are probably judging you by how fast your turnaround time is. (h/t to my boss, Donna, who pointed this fact out to me.)

6. Just Do It -- Something I struggle with at every turn. I am really good at procrastinating or forgetting, or even telling myself that it's not that important. But the faster I sit down and write it, the better I feel.

Some people may think thank you notes are outdated, or etiquette isn't important. I couldn't disagree more. It is humbling to thank someone for something they've done, and it forces me to take a moment and appreciate the wonderful things in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment