Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Go Gene

Yesterday morning, while attempting, yet again, to curl my hair with my straightener and almost burning my fingerprints off in the process, my phone dinged from my bedroom. I finished a strand and went to check it. A text, "I am at your house. No worries if you aren't ready, I'm early," shone up at me. It was my mother, and we were driving to Fort Worth for the day to do some shopping and have lunch with a friend. She was early, but I didn't mind. I was up and at 'em, excited to start the day, and excited to get out of town for a few hours.

I have the "go" gene, as my mom calls it. It's a gene that runs rampant on both sides of my family. I get restless and impatient, sometimes even irritable if I'm in one place too long. It scares me a little bit, because it was this trait that ultimately made my grandmother so sad before she died, not being able to travel anymore. That being said, however, I don't worry about it and try to travel as much as I can, clearly.

Although yesterday's adventure was just a little trip to Fort Worth, it did wonders for my soul. I watched the early morning Texas landscape change from flat, brown and thirsty to green and undulating, downtown Fort Worth rising into the sky as we got closer to the metroplex. Leaving home always makes me remember how blessed I am: how small I am in this world, yet how much I am loved. Driving a couple hours to another town makes me see things in my life from a distance, and I'm grateful for it.

After exiting on University, making a right, and then another right, all my favorite shops gather in one place. We shopped for a while then met a friend for lunch at Blue Mesa. Between sentences about life and business, I devoured chicken and beef fajitas, homemade guacamole, and jalapeno relish. Thirty minutes later back on the road heading west, deciding whether to stop at Sonic or Starbucks. We decided to stop at both, because this is America.

The drive back felt short, as short as the trip itself, but I loved getting to spend a few hours with the madre before my parents' big trip across the pond.

I know I'm making a lot out of a little trip to Fort Worth, but it was a good warm up for Padre next weekend and Paris in July. If anything, I got a new bag and some notebooks out of it. Not to mention the great company, and a delicious side of chips and guac.


Check out this man after my own heart. 

2 comments:

  1. I have that gene, too! But I still haven't figured out how to get paid to travel and adventure. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete