Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday Meals: Aunt Jenn's Apple Pie

It's been a while since I've posted a meal, so I thought I'd start back with a classic and a favorite: my Aunt Jenn's Apple Pie. My brother was home all last week and requested this pie, so, with some help from my mother, I baked this beauty and we ate it heartily and with abandon.

Pie Crust:
1/2 cup cold water
2/3 cup shortening or butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Mix flour and salt together, then add water and shortening and mix. Flatten with rolling pin. Makes two 9 inch crusts.

Apple Pie:
Six cups of sliced Granny Smith apples (will be about 4 or 5 large apples)
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
A "smidge" of nutmeg
About a teaspoon of cinnamon
3/4 of a stick of butter, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice apples into small pieces. Add sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon and stir until the apples are well-coated with the mix. Pour into pie pan. Place slabs of butter on top of the apples before placing the top crust. Punch big hole in the top crust to vent and cover outer crust with foil. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 25 minutes.









No comments:

Post a Comment