Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Meals: Home Cooked Meals

What is it about home cooking that is so comforting? Is it because our moms made us meals when we were young, or because it reminds us of being kids? Whatever the reason, a "home cooked meal" implies feelings of warmth and family.

Since I'm leaving for Paris on Sunday and my brother moves to Austin the very next day, my mom is making a slew of meals this week that she used to make a lot when we were little. One night this week, she'll be making Chicken Tetrazzini, one of my favorite meals of all time. It never fails to remind me of school nights before I went to boarding school, taking a break from homework or watching TV to come to the table and talk about the day. I can literally already taste it.

Chicken Tetrazzini

1 qt. water
2 teaspoons salt
1 can creamed mushroom soup
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
dash of pepper
4-5 pounds of chicken
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup grated cheese
4 cups cooked rice
1 tablespoon parsley
4 strips of bacon
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning

Heat water in saucepan. Add salt and chicken, cover and simmer 3-4 hours. Take meat from bone and cut into chunks. Heat broth from chicken with soup. Blend flour, garlic and pepper with broth. Heat, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir cheese, rice, chicken and parsley in another bowl. Put alternate layers of rice mixture and sauce in buttered casserole dish. Top with bacon and bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes at 450 degrees.



And I don't have a picture of my mom's chicken tet, so here's a gif of Ronaldo to make your Monday better. Happy World Cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment