Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Two Movies You Will Probably Love, and One You May Not.

There are two movies that I saw recently that were fantastic and fun. The Fault in Our Stars was not one of them...I don't think that's going to be a very fun one. Anyway:

The first was the new Wes Anderson film, The Grand Budapest Hotel. True to form, it is a dark comedy about a lobby boy in a hotel. He becomes the sidekick of the concierge, Monsieur Gustave, and they find themselves in some trouble when a former lover of the concierge dies. Ralph Fiennes plays Gustave, and he is brilliant. It's the usual cast of characters for an Anderson film, and everyone is wonderful. Great writing, engrossing scenes, and entertaining every step of the way.





***

Last week, I saw "Chef" with my mother and brother. I thought popcorn was going to get me through, since it's a movie entirely about food, but my stomach still growled. My mouth is watering just thinking about it now. Check it out:




It's funny and heart-warming at times, and a great film to go to on a Sunday night (like the trailer says, eat before you go!). It also shows the impact that social media can have on a business, and the success that it brings if it's done correctly and well. It becomes a father-son story as the movie progresses, but there's still lots and lots of food in it, and now I want to take food trips to Miami, New Orleans, and Austin.

***

The one that you may not love is the new Coen Brother movie, Inside Llewyn Davis. It's about a struggling folk singer and guitar player trying to make it big in Greenwich Village in the 1960s. I say you might not love it because it is kind of sad. You want to root for this guy, who actually is kind of a dick, but you feel like he has a good heart. And he's so seriously talented but just can't catch a break. It stars Oscar Isaac (whom I had never heard of but am a little bit in love with now), Carey Mulligan, John Goodman and Justin Timberlake. The song in the preview was reason enough for me to start it on Apple TV Sunday night, and I proceeded to download the song immediately after and listen to it 19 times in a row.




I'd definitely recommend seeing it, although I don't feel I need to see it again. But I do need to listen to that song one more time..


Have you seen any good movies lately?



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too! Let's have a movie night. JBT - we can FaceTime you in :)

      Delete