Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Chronicles of Nicaragua

Source
When I got back from Paris, I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life...a present theme of late. I moved back in to my parents house and began filling my days with working out, playing the piano, cooking meals and writing. While I enjoyed all the free time, I wondered how I was back in this position, unemployed, in Abilene, with no real motivation to do anything of substance. I thought about doing things to make my life seem a little more purpose-driven, but my efforts were lackluster at best.

Two different people in Paris told me about their experiences in Nicaragua volunteering for various organizations. They both loved their experiences, and talked fondly about their time in the Central American country. To make matters more fateful, some family friends in Abilene are from Nicaragua, and they are always telling us how beautiful and charming it is.

La Esperanza Granada
I found an organization in Granada, Nicaragua that takes volunteers out into rural schools to help teachers of elementary students. Every review I read said it is a great organization, and I sent off an application in late September. La Esperanza Granada responded promptly, and we confirmed that I would come in January and stay for three months. In the application, I listed that I would like to be a volunteer in the office doing communications, promotions and social media-type help. With my few years of experience, I felt like I could best help them in that capacity.


I was elated the few days after they confirmed it with me. Though a little scary, I felt the wonderful uneasy feeling that one feels before embarking on an unknown journey. It is something so different from anything I've ever done, and I expect great things to come from this experience. And not just a better Spanish vocabulary.

I am still not sure how I want to shape my life for the long-term, where I want to live or what kind of job I want to have. And I realize that spending three months in Central America probably won't change my life or reveal to me the great epiphany of what to do with it. It might, and I always try to remain faithful. But either way, I'm believing that I will grow and learn in ways that I can't conceive yet. Like Paris, and Kilimanjaro before it, it feels good to push against the boundaries that I set for myself, to stretch out and accept new challenges, even when I'm uncertain where they will lead.

I hope you'll join me for the journey. Vamonos! 


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to follow along on this next adventure! It is going to be a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are gaining wonderful experiences that all help you grow and prepare you for the future. I am sure that it will be amazing - whatever it might be. Like Olivia, I can't wait to follow along on this next adventure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete