Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Weekend in Washington

Still pretty, even with all his scaffolding. My photog skills though...
I got off the plane feeling like I was coming home. It's not a usual feeling in a place you haven't lived in over two years, but DC is like that for me. I did a lot of growing up there. It's where I met lifelong friends, had my first fight with a coworker, learned when to keep my mouth shut (something my brother has been trying to teach me for years...), and also when to speak up. 

This weekend was the baby shower for my friend Emily, who is graceful and lovely at all times, and is so even at 7 months pregnant. The baby shower was on Sunday afternoon, and as "Junior Hostess," I got to show up early, help set up, and drink mimosas before anyone else got there. It's pretty awesome. We spent the afternoon in complete love for new baby D, and I can't wait to meet her in the spring!

But before Sunday, I visited all my favorite restaurants and shops, including Capitol Hill Books, which is kind of, like, the best place in DC. Books are ripping the seems off the place, shoved into crevices that may only be there by accident. It's like a disorganized version of Shakespeare & Co. in Paris, and I love every inch of it.

I also had my first mussels experience on Friday night at Granville Moore's, and they were delicious. The sandwich at Mr. Henry's was as satisfying as I remember, and Cap Lounge is...the same, and amazing.

The best part, though, was seeing everyone. It feels good to walk over to H Street in a pack of four again, chatting about the day or work or family, or drive down Penn and see the places I once saw every day. A friend once described DC to me as an Island of Misfit Toys, a compilation of people from all over the country who somehow band together as lifelong friends, coworkers and companions. I don't think she's wrong. Every time I go back, I'm reminded how much I'll always love my Island, and the Toys that live there.

Shower!

Hostesses (and jr. hostess in the middle)

It was quite a spread.

Good friends.

PS. Thanks, Olivia, for the pics!


2 comments:

  1. Best Junior [fill-in-the-blank] ever!! I love how Jackie is photobombing us in that last pic.

    ReplyDelete