Sunday, December 14, 2014

Recent Reads




Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

I can't talk about this book with people. It's too emotional and moving, and I cannot accurately convey how the story will affect every person that has a heart. In one of the most compelling books I've read this year, Hillenbrand documents Louie Zamperini's 1936 Olympic journey, then his time in Japanese POW camps after being shot down in the Pacific in 1942. There isn't a word to describe the horrendous episodes he and the other men went through. Angelina Jolie directed the movie, coming out Christmas Day, and I'm curious to see her interpretation. Everyone is going to be talking about this, so you should read it. Now. Right now.




Still Life by Louise Penny

I was feeling weird after I finished Unbroken. It's like dating after a bad breakup; I wasn't emotionally stable to jump right into another relationship. So after a few weeks when I was ready, I picked up this. A murder in a small town in Canada brings Chief Inspector Gamache up from Quebec to investigate. I don't know if it was translated from French, or what, but I was underwhelmed, and found myself wanting to finish this whodunit as quickly as I could.



All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I finished this book the other week, and I loved it. It's about a blind French girl in World War 2 who has to flee Paris with her father when the Nazis occupy the city. Her story is intertwined with a German youth who is brilliant at fixing radios, and works for the German army finding illegal radio frequencies. Their stories collide and it is war-riddled and poignant. Doerr is a beautiful writer, with gems like this: "If only life were like a Jules Verne novel, thinks Marie-Laure, and you could page ahead when you most needed to, and learn what would happen." This is a great read for Christmas break.



Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Such a delightful read by my favorite, Leslie Knope. Though she claims to be a mediocre writer, I think she's being humble because her voice is clear, funny and lovable. Her chapter about Parks and Rec made me laugh out loud at a coffee shop in DC and people were staring because I couldn't stop. So maybe save that chapter for the privacy of your own home. Unless you're reading it aloud to friends, then I think it's okay. Anyway, she gives some great advice about finding your currency and being a strong woman. I'd say she's a pretty down-to-earth, cool mom who loves what she does. It's refreshing to read someone who is like that in the throws of Hollywood. The parts about SNL are pretty great too.



Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

I finally downloaded the entire Sherlock Holmes collection, and am slowly working my way through A Study in Scarlet. As you may remember, I am obsessed with the BBC version, so it's fun to read the real thing. I wondered if it would be difficult to read, but Doyle's writing is as crisp as a fall day. I recommend picking up even just the first story or two for a fun read. Sherlock has permeated so much of current culture that you may be surprised to find out how much you already known about him. Especially if you've seen the Robert Downey Jr. movie.


P.S.



No comments:

Post a Comment